WHY BUILD A PERMANENT ORTHODOX CHURCH IN BEAUFORT?
Since the earliest days of our mission, it has been the goal of St James Orthodox Church to establish a permanent, beautiful, evangelistic, traditional and God-glorifying church building in Beaufort. An Orthodox church building (often referred to as a "temple") is a vital aspect of the teaching of the Gospel and the preservation and transmission of the Church's Holy Tradition. Internally, it has a specific structure that manifests our journey toward the Kingdom of God. We move from "the world" with its distractions and rebellion against God, through the layer of the Narthex: an in-between place where we transition from the noise and bustle of worldly life into the life of the Kingdom, where we are called to "lay aside all earthly cares", entering the Nave where we pray and worship. A church building teaches faithful Orthodox Christians and evangelizes those seeking the fullness of the faith. It provides a proper venue for our worship and prayer, and can facilitate our social gatherings where we practice what the Gospel preaches. The church building is indeed an integral part of our worship, and offers us much wisdom in its form and beauty.
Currently, our rented space simply isn't large enough to allow for us to grow. A new larger building of our own would open the door to greater growth.
And it is our desire at St James Orthodox Church to embrace this possibility fully, offering to our Lord the most beautiful building that we can, with room enough for all.
Those who choose to participate in our Capital Campaign will be participating in the evangelization of the Lowcountry, bringing Orthodox Christiainty to this place.
CAPITAL CAMPAIGN GOALS AND DETAILS
- The current capital campaign began on Sunday July 8th and will conclude on December 25th (The Feast of the Nativity of the Lord).
- The goal is to raise $200,000 toward the construction of two buildings: a dedicated worship space and a separate, dedicated fellowship space.
- The Building Committee is currently investigating possible building designs, speaking with architects and contractors as well as meeting with Beaufort County officials
- Additionally, the Building Committee is meeting with banks and lending agencies to determine available mortgage possibilities
WAYS TO GIVE TOWARD THE CAPITAL CAMPAIGN
- DIRECT: Cash gifts and checks may simply be brought to our church with the designation that they are to be used for the "Building Fund/Capital Campaign"
- MAIL: If you wish to send your gifts, our mailing address is: St James Orthodox Church, PO Box 911, Beaufort, SC, 29901 (please indicate that they are intended for the Building Fund/Capital Campaign).
- ALTERNATIVE FORMS: Some donors have found creative ways to donate, such as in the form of stocks or bonds, which we are happy to accept.
- ONLINE GIVING: we use a service called "Tithe.ly" for web-based giving. Please note that while this is a handy and simple way to give, it does incur a fee which can affect the total amount that finds its way to our church. Click the button below to access our online giving service, and choose the "GIVE TO" pull-down menu option called "Building Fund and Capital Campaign"